Thursday, April 9, 2009

Money and Finance part 1

This is an interesting exercise. I am really old school and this exposes me to the "new stuff".

My bank does offer on line banking for free but I do not participate. It took me a long time to get brave enough to shop online so it's not surprising I am not online banking. They provide great services such as round the clock access, electronic statements and bill pay features. Their security measures appear strong. They use Pass Mark images, specific types of passwords, challenge questions. In their down loadable brochure they give tips for safeguarding your information when using the Internet. These include never providing your user name or password to anyone who asks, using encrypted websites and using unique passwords and changing them regularly. This is a service that I actually might try in the near future.

I looked at the budgeting websites and they do not interest me at all. To me it is too complicated and time consuming. I prefer paper and pencil.

I like reading articles on saving money. This one gave many ways to cut costs. Ones that I might try include:
buying non-grocery items a discount stores, I tend to buy these items at the
supermarket only because it is convenient
install a few more compact florescent bulbs, I have already changed a couple
but have more places that could be changed
investigate switching my TV provider and bundling it with my phone and Internet
(which is already bundled)

All in all, this was an interesting module. I look forward to the second part.

No comments: